Notifications
Clear all

Improve Low Frame Rate/Choppy Video by Changing WiFi channel  

RSS

Shane
(@shane)
Member Admin
14/04/2020 11:56 am  

Live View Golf operates over WiFi but because WiFi is "unregulated spectrum" your camera may be getting interference from your own or your neighbors other WiFi devices.  Similar to TV or Radio if 2 signals are broadcasting on the same channel, the signal will break up as both signals try to talk over each other.

If you are getting a lot of missing frames in your videos, changing your camera's WiFi channel may improve your reception and make your swing videos smoother. 

Change Camera WiFi channel:
To change the Camera WiFi Channel first connect to the LiveView Camera with either the Live View Golf or LVStudio App.  In the App settings the last setting is Camera settings.  The camera can be set to a range of channels between 1-11. We would recommend trying different channels, but as a rule of thumb, wifi channels need to be separated by at least 4 numbers to achieve complete separation.  This is especially important if you are running 2 or more Live View Cameras at the same time. For example if your interfering device is on Channel 1, the Live View would need to be set to channel 5.  If the interfering device is on channel 5, you should set the Live View for either channel 1 or 9.  

Use Apple Airport Utility to Scan other Wifi Signals:
You can use the Apple Airport Utility to scan for you WiFi environment and see what other WiFi networks are competing with your camera and how strong they are.  There is a guide on how to use the Airport Utility  https://tinyurl.com/th2qg7t but if you can't figure it out, we recommend just trying channels 1,5,9,11.

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Shane

herve
(@herve)
16/04/2020 12:38 pm  

I have been having this problem lately. How do I actually change the channel? I have the live view app. When I go to settings and reset the WiFi channel to another channel (default is 6) and I close the settings, then it automatically goes back to 6. This does not happen when I change other settings (such as loudness of Recording). What am I doing wrong here?

ReplyQuote
Shane
(@shane)
Member Admin
17/04/2020 6:20 pm  

@herve Can you confirm that the change channel is "succesful" after you apply it?  Please also share your camera model, App version and iPad type.  The channel reading in LV Studio app is actually passive, it does not get any feedback from the camera on the actual channel.  To see the actual channel you need to install a wifi analyzer like "NetSpot" for PC or "Airport Utility" for iOS.  To see instructions on loading the Apple Airport Utility see the top heading above.

https://tinyurl.com/th2qg7t

-Shane

ReplyQuote
herve
(@herve)
18/04/2020 2:37 am  

Hi Shane, thank you for your input. Not sure I understand what you are saying. My settings are:

Live View Golf App Ver: 5.4.20, Build 33
on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T510)

You are saying I cannot change the wifi channel via the app? and what is the point to 'see' the actual channel - using wifi analyzers - if you would not be able to change it anyway?

Looking forward to your response.

ReplyQuote
LVS.Support
(@lvs)
Member Admin
19/04/2020 6:23 am  

@herve

We have released a new Android beta version.Can you please confirm your Google Play email address by email to our support "[email protected]"Once we receive your email, we will send you a link to install a new version.

Kind Regards,
LVS Support

ReplyQuote
Shane
(@shane)
Member Admin
22/04/2020 3:51 pm  

@herve To clarify, it's actually the opposite, you can change the wifi channel using the app, but to confirm the channel setting, you need an outside app as described above.

ReplyQuote
betterlead
(@betterlead)
28/04/2020 5:54 am  

Hi, I got my Live View package today and set it all up and started using it.

Sorry to say, the quality of the video is,,, like from the phone cameras in the late 90's.
Extremely pixelated and to be honest, totally useless.

I really hope I'm doing something wrong.
Could you please advice?

(I stole this thread, since I didn't find any place to click: Start a new subject. -sorry...)

Kindest regards
Betterlead (Dodo)

ReplyQuote
Shane
(@shane)
Member Admin
29/04/2020 1:46 pm  

@betterlead can you please email us a sample of your video to [email protected]?

ReplyQuote
betterlead
(@betterlead)
29/04/2020 10:56 pm  
Posted by: @shane

@betterlead can you please email us a sample of your video to [email protected]?

Will do. Thanks.

I,d like to mention, my second session with the Live View, was my most enjoyable time at a golf range ever. 🙂

/D

ReplyQuote
dave666
(@dave666)
05/05/2020 2:12 am  

Hi, I got my Live View package yesterday and set it all up and started using it.

Sorry to say, the quality of the video is,,, like from the phone cameras in the late 90's.
Extremely pixelated and to be honest, totally useless.verry laggy

I really hope I'm doing something wrong.
Could you please advice?

(I too stole this thread)

ReplyQuote
KenKollsmith
(@kenkollsmith)
23/07/2020 3:14 pm  

In addition to selecting the new channel number, you must also select "Set Wi-Fi Channel".   So two clicks instead of one.

ReplyQuote
simmons1014
(@simmons1014)
19/08/2020 9:47 am  

I get very choppy and delayed video no matter what channel I set it to.  My internet speed is supposedly fast according to wifi analyzers.  I end up just using my phone's slow-motion camera (Google Pixel) which works perfectly.  I've installed the app on my phone and on a Chromebook and they both have about the same lag.  I also only get a few frames per swing.  Trying to analyze the downswing is impossible when one frame shows the top of the backswing and the next frame that shows anything different is already at the follow-through.  It usually takes multiple clicks to get to the next movement so it appears that there are frames in between the different swing positions, but I guess the camera just can't record and transfer the info fast enough.  I'm hoping they will come up with a software fix or suggest a solution, but for now, I guess I'll just use it when I want a second camera angle in addition to my phone.

ReplyQuote
dandereck
(@dandereck)
26/08/2020 6:49 am  

@simmons1014 I have the same problem using Liveview and a Samsung Tab A running Android.  I really want to see the transition into the downswing, as I have a tendency to get way too steep, but the recorded video jumps from the top of the backswing to or past impact.  I also have a Pixel and the slow motion recording works fine (most of the time--on occasion it gets choppy, but that's pretty rare).  Of course, it is a lot clunkier to use the phone to record and play back than using Liveview, but if you really can't capture the whole swing it is not very useful.  I hope there is a fix somewhere for this.

Also, the use of the microphone as a trigger to record a short video of 4 seconds of the swing just doesn't seem to work reliably.  If I'm lucky it might trigger on one out of ten swings, usually fewer than that, even though the tablet is set up just a couple of feet from the ball (in other words, plenty of volume from the impact).  And for some reason it will often give me a video capture of me picking up the tablet to look at the settings or something, rather than triggering on a swing.  Am I doing somethig wrong?  I have tried changing the sensitivity level, but haven't had much luck.

ReplyQuote
Share: